Welcome to the Public Housing Program
After Hours Emergency Maintenance: (501) 268-8547
Our Public Housing apartments are located at:
- W. Park
- W. Woodruff
- S. Pear
- S. Maple
- S. Hickory
- S. Pecan
- W. Pleasure
- S. Elm Terrace
- S. Fir
How do I apply for Public Housing?
By clicking the link below and filling out the application.
Summary of the SHA Lease
Charges and payments
- Rent is due on the 1st of every month.
- Rent is late after the 5th
- A $20.00 late fee is assessed on the 6th of the month.
- Late rent four times in a 12 month period will cause lease to be terminated.
- You may NEVER have two months rent due at the same time.
- Charges other than rent are due with in two weeks written notice of the charge.
- Payments may be made at any office or office drop box or mailed to 501 South Fir St. Searcy, AR.
- If rent payments are being made after the 5th of the month they must be mailed or brought to the office. (Do not put late payments in drop box).
- There is a $35.00 charge on all returned checks.
- Only the tenant and his/her household members named on the lease may occupy the unit.
- Any additions to the household MUST be pre-approved. They must meet the screening criteria, provide all the necessary information, and the unit must be of appropriate size.
- You may have overnight company for a period not to exceed 14 cumulative days per year. Permission may be granted upon written request to the Public Housing Manager for an extension.
- Tenant MUST transfer utilities within 5 days of the lease date, and provide the Housing Authority with the new account numbers.
- Tenant agrees to keep tenant supplied utilities on at all times. If they are disconnected you will be notified in writing to have them reconnected within five days or a three day eviction notice will be issued.
Renewal and Interim changes
- ALL CHANGES MUST BE REPORTED WITHIN 10 DAYS OF THE CHANGE IN WRITING!
- The Housing Authority will conduct re-exams annually for income based renters. Re-exams for renters that pay flat rent will be conducted every three years.
- Rent will not change between re-exams UNLESS there is a change in household composition or a change in income.
- If there is a decrease in rent due to an interim exam the rent will change the 1st of the next month.
- If there is an increase in rent due to an interim exam the new rent will be effective the 1st of the 2nd month.
If changes are not reported as required you will loose the two month grace period and the change will go into effect the 1st of the next month.
Other Rules and Regulations
- The Searcy Housing Authority takes care of all maintenance at no charge for normal wear and tear. There WILL be a charge for tenant caused damages.
- Tenant must keep their unit up to housekeeping standards at ALL times. (Housekeeping Policy is handed out at move-in interview)
- Tenant agrees not to make alterations to the unit.
- The Housing Authority has a ZERO tolerance for any resident that destroys or allows their guest to destroy PHA property.
- The Housing Authority has a ZERO tolerance for criminal activity on the property. If the criminal activity is due to physical violence or drugs the activity does not have to take place on the Housing Authority property for the tenant to be evicted.
- ALL minors MUST be off the streets by City curfew time limit.
- All vehicles must be registered and a parking sticker be issued.
- All vehicles must be tagged and in working condition.
- You may not make major repairs on HA property.
- If necessary you must meet Community Service requirements (See community service pamphlet handed out at move-in interview.)
- ALL pets must be pre-approved by the Housing Authority and a pet deposit paid BEFORE the pet occupies the unit.
- If you plan to be gone from your unit for more than 7 consecutive days you must notify the HA in writing.
Inspections and apartment entry
- The Housing Authority will give 48 hour written notice before inspections with the exception of emergency inspections.
- Maintenance will change the air filters in your unit the second full week of every month. (This is your notice.)
Move-Outs and Security deposits
In order for the security deposit to be returned the tenant must:
- Give 30 day written notice.
- Leave the apartment in the same condition it was in when they moved in absent normal wear and tear.
- Not owe the Housing Authority a balance.
- Give the HA a forwarding address.
- A three (3) day eviction notice will be issued for criminal activity or health and safety hazards.
- A fourteen (14) day eviction notice will be issued for non-payment of rent.
- All other eviction notices will be 30 days.
- You must give a written thirty-day notice if you plan to move out. A fifteen day charge of rent will be made if you move-out without notice.
- We charge rent for each day until the keys to the apartment are turned in.
- You should plan to have all items moved out and your cleaning complete by then if you wish the rent to stop at that time. You should make arrangements regarding the date you will complete the move.
- We must make a move-out inspection.
- Your Security Deposit will not be refunded until keys are turned in and you will be charged (at cost) to replace locks on unit and mailbox.
- Cleaning charges are posted in the lobby of our offices.
- You will be charged for any cleaning that is necessary after you have moved out. If cleaning charges exceed security deposit, you will be responsible for the difference.
- The following items must be cleaned:
- All floors, removing marks and stains
- All baseboards and window sills wiped down
- All light fixtures, door louvers, and ceiling fans
- All porches and closets
- Do not leave anything for us to have to haul off
- Clean stove, under stove top, oven, broiler, racks, sides and floor underneath; clean Vent-A-Hood and Filter.
- Defrost and clean inside and outside of refrigerator and freezer, clean trays, racks, etc., dump ice trays, unplug and leave doors open.
- Clean sink, cabinets, doors, etc.
- Remove soap scum and clean bathtub, shower and sink (including caulked area around top and bottom of tub).
- Scrub toilet inside and out.
- Clean mirror, medicine cabinet, toothbrush holder, soap dish and towel racks.
- Sweep and mop ALL floors, wash off all walls, baseboards and doors, remove ALL cobwebs, clean all blinds.
- Do not remove items permanently attached, such as ceiling fans, etc. If you have additional wiring for air conditioners or dryers, this must be left in tact.
- Replace all missing light bulbs. These were furnished when you moved in.
- A charge is made for any damage to the apartment, windows, torn screens, and bent or damaged blinds, etc.
- If you have installed carpet, you are expected to remove the adhesive and restore the tile to the original finish.
- If you have any questions, contact our office at 501-268-8547 – Monday thru Thursday, 8:30 -12:00 / 12:30 - 4:30.
Smoke Free Policy and Applicability
- Smoking is not be permitted in individual units or the common spaces of a designated Housing Authority community or facility of any type after the effective date of the Policy, unless otherwise specified. "Smoke" or "smoking" means the possession or use (carrying or smoking) of any kind of lighted pipe, cigar, cigarette, or any other lighted smoking equipment or tobacco product or other substance - controlled or uncontrolled
- "Individual units" are defined as the interior and exterior spaces tied to a particular multi-family or single family dwelling unit. This includes, but is not limited to, bedrooms, hallways, kitchens, bathrooms, patios, balconies, and unit entryway areas.
- "Common spaces" are defined as areas within the building interior that are open to the public, including but not limited to entryways, community patios or balconies, roof terraces, lobbies, hallways, elevators, management offices, public restrooms, community rooms, community kitchens, stairwells, parking garages and carports, and any other area of the building that is accessible to employees, residents and guests or any other person.
- Promotion of No-Smoking Policy: Tenant shall inform his or her guest of the Smoke-Free Areas, Tenant shall promptly notify SHA in writing of any incident where tobacco smoke is migrating into Tenant's unit from sources outside of Tenant's Unit.
- SHA Not Guarantor of Smoke-Free Environment: Resident acknowledges that SHA adoption of Smoke-Free Areas, does not make the SHA the guarantor of the Resident's health or of the smoke-free condition of the areas above. However, SHA shall take reasonable steps to enforce this addendum. SHA shall not be required to take steps in response to smoking unless PHA has actual knowledge or has been provided written notice.
Other Tenants Are Third Party Beneficiaries to this Addendum: SHA and Resident agree that the other Tenants of the property are the third party beneficiaries of this policy. A Tenant may sue another Tenant to enforce this policy but does not have the right to evict another Tenant. Any lawsuit between Tenants regarding this policy shall not create a presumption that the SHA has breached this policy.